Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew is a hearty and flavorful dish that belongs to the American cuisine. This dish is a unique blend of tender beef and succulent chicken, slow-cooked with an array of vegetables and aromatic herbs and spices. One of the peculiarities of this dish is the use of a crock pot, which allows for long, slow cooking, resulting in tender and moist meat that simply falls apart.
This stew is typically cooked on low heat for several hours, allowing the flavors to meld together and the meat to become incredibly tender. The long cooking process also allows the flavors to intensify, creating a rich and robust taste. The aroma that fills the kitchen as this stew cooks is simply mouthwatering, with the fragrant herbs and spices infusing the meat and vegetables.
The texture of Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew is comforting and satisfying. The meat becomes melt-in-your-mouth tender, while the vegetables retain a slight crunch, adding a delightful contrast. The thick and hearty broth coats each ingredient, creating a luscious and comforting texture that warms you from the inside out.
This dish is not only delicious but also incredibly useful. The slow cooking method makes it perfect for busy individuals or families who want a home-cooked meal without spending hours in the kitchen. It can be prepared in advance and left to cook while you go about your day, coming home to a delicious and ready-to-eat meal. Additionally, the combination of beef and chicken provides a good balance of proteins, making it a nutritious option. The abundance of vegetables also adds essential vitamins and minerals, making it a well-rounded and wholesome dish. Overall, Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew is a comforting and versatile dish that is sure to satisfy both your taste buds and your hunger.
- A crock pot or slow cooker – This is the star of the show! A must-have for a delectable and effortless stew.
- A sharp chef’s knife – Perfect for slicing and dicing the beef and chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- A cutting board – Protect your countertops and chop your ingredients with ease on a sturdy cutting board.
- A can opener – You’ll need this trusty tool to crack open those cans of diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
- A wooden spoon – A versatile utensil that will help you stir and mix all the ingredients together.
- A ladle – This handy tool will allow you to serve up generous portions of the savory stew.
- Tongs – Use these to safely flip and turn the beef and chicken as they brown in the pot.
- A canister of salt – Seasoning is key, and a pinch of salt will enhance the flavors of your stew.
- A pepper grinder – Freshly ground black pepper adds a delightful kick to the dish.
- A measuring cup – Precise measurements ensure a well-balanced stew, so grab your trusty measuring cup.
- Measuring spoons – Don’t forget these little helpers for accurately adding spices and herbs.
- A colander – Rinse your vegetables and drain them effortlessly with a colander.
- A vegetable peeler – Peel carrots and potatoes effortlessly with this nifty gadget.
- A canister of flour – Dusting your beef and chicken with flour before browning adds a lovely golden crust.
- A garlic press – Squeeze out all that garlicky goodness without getting your hands smelly.
- A cheese grater – If you fancy a sprinkle of cheese on top, a grater will do the trick.
- Oven mitts – Protect your hands when handling the hot crock pot or removing the lid.
- Beef – Choose a tender and well-marbled cut like chuck roast for a melt-in-your-mouth experience.
- Chicken – Opt for boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts for a lean and protein-packed addition to the stew.
- Onions – Sweet or yellow onions add a savory depth to the stew’s flavor profile.
- Carrots – These vibrant orange gems lend natural sweetness and a delightful crunch.
- Potatoes – Use starchy potatoes like Russets to add a hearty and comforting element to the stew.
- Celery – This crisp veggie adds a refreshing note and a lovely hint of earthiness.
- Garlic – A few cloves of garlic bring their aromatic magic to the dish.
- Diced tomatoes – Canned diced tomatoes provide a burst of tangy and juicy goodness.
- Tomato paste – Concentrated tomato flavor in a convenient can, perfect for adding richness to the stew.
- Beef or chicken broth – A flavorful liquid base that ties all the ingredients together harmoniously.
- Herbs and spices – Classic stew herbs like thyme and rosemary, along with salt, pepper, and any other favorites, add a symphony of flavors.
- 2 pounds of beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large crock pot, combine the beef stew meat, chicken thighs, carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic.
- Add the frozen peas and corn to the pot.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the beef broth, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, thyme, rosemary, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or high heat for 4-6 hours, until the meat is tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Stir the stew occasionally during cooking to ensure even distribution of flavors.
- Once cooked, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the delicious beef and chicken stew hot, garnished with fresh herbs if desired.
Recipe Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 6 hours
- Total time: 6 hours and 20 minutes
- Country of origin: United States
Prepare to embark on a culinary journey that will transport you to the heartland of flavor with this tantalizing Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew. With just the right balance of tender beef, succulent chicken, and a medley of delightful ingredients, this hearty dish will warm your soul and satisfy your cravings.
As you gather your ingredients and don your apron, the anticipation builds. The aroma of simmering beef and chicken fills the air, beckoning you closer to the magic that is about to unfold in your trusty crock pot.
With nimble hands, you begin the preparation, chopping vegetables with precision and care. Each ingredient selected with purpose, contributing its own unique essence to the symphony of flavors that will soon dance upon your taste buds.
The clock ticks as you lovingly layer the beef and chicken in the crock pot, gently arranging them like puzzle pieces in a harmonious union. As you pour in the rich broth, you can almost hear it whisper secrets of its own, promising to infuse every morsel with a depth of flavor that is nothing short of extraordinary.
With a twist of a knob, the crock pot comes to life, its gentle heat enveloping the ingredients in a warm embrace. The hours pass by slowly, allowing the flavors to meld and intensify, transforming ordinary ingredients into something truly extraordinary.
As the aroma wafts through your kitchen, you can’t help but imagine the generations before you, huddled around a similar pot, savoring this comforting stew on chilly winter nights. It’s a dish that holds the warmth of tradition and the promise of nourishment.
Finally, the moment arrives. With eager anticipation, you lift the lid of the crock pot, revealing a masterpiece that is both rustic and elegant. The tender beef and chicken melt in your mouth, while the vegetables provide a burst of freshness in every bite.
With each spoonful, you can taste the love and care that went into creating this culinary masterpiece. It’s a dish that speaks to the heart and fills the belly, reminding us of the simple pleasures that can be found in a warm bowl of stew.
So, gather your loved ones, set the table, and prepare to indulge in the flavors of this Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew. Let it transport you to a place where time slows down, and every bite is a celebration of good food and cherished moments.
- Start by preparing the beef and chicken for the stew. Trim any excess fat from the meat and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Season the meat with salt, pepper, and any other desired spices to add flavor.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add some oil. Once the oil is hot, sear the beef and chicken in batches until browned on all sides. This step helps to seal in the juices and enhance the flavor of the stew.
- While the meat is searing, chop the onions, carrots, and celery into small pieces. These aromatic vegetables will provide a wonderful base for the stew.
- Once the meat is browned, transfer it to your crock pot. In the same skillet, add a little more oil if needed and sauté the chopped onions until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery to the skillet and continue to sauté until they start to soften. This will only take a few minutes, so keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
- Transfer the sautéed vegetables to the crock pot with the meat. At this point, you can also add any additional vegetables or ingredients you like, such as potatoes or mushrooms.
- Pour in your choice of liquid, such as beef or chicken broth, red wine, or even water. This will provide the necessary moisture for a delicious stew. The amount of liquid can vary depending on how thick or soupy you prefer your stew.
- Add herbs and spices to enhance the flavors. Popular choices include bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, or paprika. Be generous with these seasonings to create a rich and aromatic stew.
- Cover the crock pot with its lid and set it to cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours. Slow cooking allows the flavors to meld together and the meat to become tender and juicy.
- During the last hour of cooking, you can thicken the stew if desired. Mix cornstarch or flour with a little cold water to create a slurry, then stir it into the stew. Allow the stew to continue cooking for another hour to let the flavors meld together.
- Once the cooking time is up, remove the lid and give the stew a good stir. The meat should be fork-tender and the vegetables perfectly cooked.
- Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Add more salt, pepper, or herbs to suit your taste.
- Serve the hearty and delicious beef and chicken stew in bowls, garnished with fresh herbs if desired. It pairs wonderfully with crusty bread or fluffy mashed potatoes.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, allowing the flavors to develop even further.
Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew
- Calories: 350 per serving
- Protein: 25g per serving
- Fat: 12g per serving
- Carbohydrates: 30g per serving
- Fiber: 5g per serving
- Sugar: 8g per serving
- Sodium: 800mg per serving
- Vitamin A: 20% of daily recommended intake per serving
- Vitamin C: 30% of daily recommended intake per serving
- Calcium: 10% of daily recommended intake per serving
- Iron: 15% of daily recommended intake per serving
This hearty and flavorful Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew is a nutritional powerhouse that will satisfy your taste buds and keep you feeling satisfied. Each serving of this comforting dish contains approximately 350 calories, making it a filling option for lunch or dinner.
With 25 grams of protein per serving, this stew is an excellent choice for those looking to meet their daily protein needs. Protein is essential for muscle repair and growth, making it a crucial nutrient for active individuals.
In terms of fat content, this stew contains 12 grams per serving. While it is important to moderate fat intake, the fat in this stew comes from the meat and adds richness and depth of flavor to the dish.
Carbohydrates are an important source of energy, and this stew provides approximately 30 grams per serving. The fiber content is also impressive, with 5 grams per serving. Fiber aids in digestion and helps keep you feeling full and satisfied.
While the stew does contain some sugar, with 8 grams per serving, it is naturally occurring from the vegetables. The added sugar content is minimal, making it a healthier option compared to processed foods.
Sodium content in this stew is approximately 800 milligrams per serving. It is important to be mindful of sodium intake, especially for individuals with specific dietary restrictions or health conditions.
In terms of vitamins, this stew is packed with goodness. Each serving provides 20% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin A, which supports healthy vision and immune function. Additionally, it contains 30% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin C, an immune-boosting vitamin that also aids in collagen production.
Calcium, essential for strong bones and teeth, is present in this stew as well. With 10% of the daily recommended intake per serving, it contributes to overall bone health.
Lastly, this stew contains 15% of the daily recommended intake of iron per serving. Iron is crucial for oxygen transport throughout the body and plays a vital role in maintaining energy levels.
Indulge in this delicious Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew knowing that you are nourishing your body with a well-balanced meal that is not only satisfying but also provides essential nutrients.
Ideas for serving
– To make your Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew truly unforgettable, consider adding a generous splash of red wine to the mix. The wine not only enhances the flavors of the meat, but also adds a rich depth to the overall taste. Choose a full-bodied variety like Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot to complement the hearty ingredients in your stew.
– For a touch of freshness and vibrant color, try garnishing your stew with some chopped parsley or cilantro just before serving. The vibrant green hues will beautifully contrast with the earthy tones of the dish, adding a burst of visual appeal. Not only does it look enticing, but it also imparts a subtle herbaceous note to each spoonful.
– To give your stew a slightly spicy kick, consider adding a diced jalapeño pepper or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. This infusion of heat will elevate the flavors and add an exciting element to the dish. If you prefer milder heat, remove the seeds and membranes from the jalapeño before adding it to the pot.
– To add a touch of sweetness and complexity, consider incorporating a small amount of dark chocolate into your stew. The bittersweet notes of chocolate perfectly balance the savory flavors and lend a luxurious richness to the dish. Be sure to use high-quality dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa solids for maximum flavor impact.
– For an interesting twist, try adding a handful of pitted black olives to your stew. The briny and slightly tangy flavor of olives complements the tender beef and chicken beautifully. It adds a Mediterranean flair to the dish, making it a delightful surprise for your taste buds.
– To make your stew even heartier, consider adding some chunks of potatoes or sweet potatoes. These starchy additions not only absorb the flavors of the broth but also provide a comforting and filling element to the dish. Opt for waxy potatoes like Yukon Gold or red potatoes, which hold their shape well during the slow cooking process.
– Don’t forget to serve your Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew with a crusty loaf of bread or some warm homemade biscuits on the side. The bread is perfect for sopping up every last bit of the flavorful broth and ensures that no deliciousness goes to waste. Plus, it adds a satisfying element of texture to your meal.
– If you want to take your stew to the next level, consider stirring in a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt just before serving. The creamy tanginess of these dairy products adds a velvety richness to the stew, creating a luscious mouthfeel. It also helps balance out any spiciness and brings all the flavors together harmoniously.
– Finally, for an extra touch of indulgence, top each serving of your stew with some crispy bacon bits or fried shallots. These savory toppings add a delightful crunch and an extra layer of flavor to the dish. They provide a textural contrast and make each bite even more satisfying.
Now that you have these creative ideas for serving your Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew, get ready to impress your family and friends with a truly remarkable and delicious meal. Enjoy the comforting flavors and experiment with different variations to make it your own signature dish!
Storing the dish
Instructions for Storing Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew:
1. Allow the Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew to cool down to room temperature before storing. This step is essential to prevent condensation and ensure optimal food safety.
2. Choose an airtight container that is suitable for freezing. We recommend using glass or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids to maintain freshness and prevent freezer burn.
3. Carefully ladle the stew into the container, leaving about an inch of space at the top for expansion during freezing. Make sure to include a generous amount of both beef and chicken, along with all the delicious vegetables and flavorful broth.
4. Seal the container tightly, ensuring there are no gaps or leaks. This will prevent any air from entering the container, which could cause freezer burn and compromise the taste and texture of the stew.
5. Label the container with the name of the dish and the date of preparation. It’s always a good idea to write this information clearly to avoid any confusion later on.
6. Place the container in the freezer, taking care not to overcrowd the area around it. Allow sufficient space for air circulation to ensure even freezing and faster cooling.
7. If you have a large batch of Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew, consider dividing it into smaller portions before freezing. This way, you can easily thaw and enjoy individual servings without having to defrost the entire batch.
8. When it’s time to enjoy your frozen stew, carefully remove the desired portion from the freezer and transfer it to the refrigerator. Allow it to thaw overnight or for at least 24 hours. This slow thawing process will help retain the flavors and textures of the stew.
9. Once thawed, reheat the stew on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe dish. Stir occasionally to ensure even heating and prevent any hot spots.
10. Serve the reheated Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew piping hot in your favorite bowl or over a bed of fluffy rice. Add a sprinkle of fresh herbs or a dollop of sour cream for an extra touch of flavor and garnish.
11. Remember, properly stored Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. However, for the best taste and quality, we recommend consuming it within 1-2 months.
Enjoy your delicious Crock Pot Beef and Chicken Stew whenever you’re in the mood for a hearty and comforting meal!