Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is a delicious and flavorful dish that belongs to Mongolian cuisine. This traditional dish has gained popularity worldwide due to its unique combination of flavors and ease of preparation. One of the peculiarities of Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is that it is cooked using a slow cooker, which allows the flavors to develop and the chicken to become tender and juicy.
This dish is typically prepared with boneless chicken thighs or breasts, along with a savory sauce made from soy sauce, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. The chicken is cooked slowly in this flavorful sauce, allowing it to absorb all the delicious flavors. The result is a dish that is rich in taste and aroma, with a perfect balance of sweet, salty, and slightly spicy flavors.
Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is often served with steamed rice or noodles, which help to soak up the flavorful sauce. The texture of the dish is another highlight, as the chicken becomes incredibly tender and succulent after slow cooking. The sauce thickens during the cooking process, coating the chicken pieces with a sticky glaze that adds a delightful caramelized touch.
This dish is not only delicious but also has several useful features. Firstly, the use of a slow cooker makes it incredibly convenient as it requires minimal effort and can be prepared in advance. This makes it an ideal choice for busy individuals or families. Additionally, Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is a versatile dish that can be easily customized by adding vegetables such as bell peppers, carrots, or snap peas for added nutrition and texture. It can also be adjusted to suit different dietary preferences by using low-sodium soy sauce or substituting the chicken with tofu or seitan for a vegetarian version.
In conclusion, Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is a mouthwatering dish that belongs to Mongolian cuisine. Its unique cooking method and flavorful sauce result in a dish that is rich in taste and aroma. The tender and succulent texture of the chicken, along with the sticky glaze, makes it a delight to savor. Its convenience, versatility, and ability to be customized according to personal preferences make Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken a popular choice for a satisfying and hassle-free meal.
- A slow cooker: The star of this dish, a slow cooker is essential to achieve the tender and flavorful Mongolian chicken. Its low and slow cooking method allows the flavors to meld together, resulting in a mouthwatering meal.
- A cutting board: To prepare the chicken, you’ll need a sturdy cutting board. Choose one that provides ample space to safely chop and slice your ingredients.
- A sharp knife: A reliable and sharp knife is a must-have when it comes to cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Make sure it’s sharp enough to effortlessly glide through the meat.
- A measuring cup: Precise measurements are key to ensuring the perfect balance of flavors in your Mongolian chicken. A measuring cup will help you accurately portion out the ingredients for the delicious sauce.
- A whisk: To create a smooth and well-blended sauce, a trusty whisk will be your best friend. It helps combine the ingredients effortlessly, ensuring a consistent texture and taste.
- A spatula: Whether you’re sautéing the chicken or stirring the sauce, a heat-resistant spatula is essential for maneuvering ingredients in the slow cooker without scratching its surface.
- Tongs: When it’s time to transfer the cooked chicken from the slow cooker to the serving dish, tongs come in handy. They provide a secure grip, preventing any accidents or messes.
- A serving spoon: To dish out generous portions of this delectable Mongolian chicken, a sturdy serving spoon is a must. It ensures you can easily plate the flavorful chicken and its accompanying sauce.
- Plates and cutlery: Last but not least, don’t forget plates and cutlery! They’re essential for enjoying your Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken. Gather some plates, forks, and napkins to complete the dining experience.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 green onions, sliced (for garnish)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- First, gather the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- ½ cup of low-sodium soy sauce.
- ½ cup of brown sugar.
- ¼ cup of hoisin sauce.
- ¼ cup of water.
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, grated.
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes (adjust to taste).
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- 2 green onions, sliced (for garnish).
- Sesame seeds (for garnish).
- In a slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, water, minced garlic, grated ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the bite-sized chicken pieces to the slow cooker and stir to coat them in the sauce.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water until smooth.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker and continue cooking on high for an additional 30 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Garnish the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken with sliced green onions and sprinkle with sesame seeds for added flavor and presentation.
- Serve the dish over steamed rice or with your choice of noodles.
- Enjoy this delicious and flavorful Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken with your family and friends!
Recipe Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- Preparation Time:
- 15 minutes
- 4 hours
- 4 hours and 15 minutes
Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is a delightful dish that originates from the beautiful land of Mongolia. With its rich history and vibrant culture, Mongolia has gifted the world with this mouthwatering culinary creation. The preparation time for this dish is a mere 15 minutes, allowing you to quickly gather your ingredients and get started on your gastronomic adventure.
Once you’ve gathered everything you need, it’s time to let your slow cooker work its magic. The cooking time for Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is a tantalizing 4 hours. As the flavors meld together and the aromas fill your home, you’ll be transported to the vast Mongolian steppes, where nomadic traditions and hearty cuisine intertwine.
After the 4-hour cooking journey, you’ll be rewarded with a tender and succulent chicken dish that captures the essence of Mongolian cuisine. The total time invested in this culinary delight is 4 hours and 15 minutes, ensuring that every minute spent is well worth it.
So, whether you’re seeking a taste of Mongolia or simply looking for a delicious slow cooker recipe, Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is sure to satisfy your cravings. Immerse yourself in the flavors of this incredible country and indulge in the culinary wonders it has to offer.
1. Start by preparing the chicken for the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken dish. Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Ensure the pieces are uniform in size, allowing them to cook evenly.
2. Take out your trusty slow cooker and place the chicken pieces in it. Spread them out evenly across the bottom of the cooker, allowing room for the sauce to coat each piece.
3. Now, let’s move on to creating the flavorful sauce. In a bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, grated ginger, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little kick. Stir the ingredients together until the brown sugar dissolves completely.
4. Pour the delectable sauce mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker, ensuring each piece is generously coated. Use a spoon or spatula to gently toss the chicken, making sure the sauce reaches every nook and cranny.
5. Secure the lid on your slow cooker and set it to cook on low heat for about 4-6 hours. This slow cooking process allows the chicken to soak up all the rich flavors of the sauce, resulting in tender and succulent morsels.
6. While the chicken is simmering away, it’s time to prepare the finishing touch: a simple cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth. This slurry will help thicken the sauce and give it that gorgeous glaze.
7. About 30 minutes before serving, carefully remove the lid from your slow cooker and pour in the cornstarch slurry. Give everything a gentle stir to incorporate the slurry into the sauce.
8. Replace the lid and allow the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken to continue cooking for another 30 minutes on low heat. During this time, the sauce will thicken up beautifully and cling to the chicken, creating a delightful coating.
9. Once the cooking time is up, it’s time to serve and enjoy! Serve the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken over a bed of fluffy white rice or alongside your favorite steamed vegetables. The tender chicken and luscious sauce will make your taste buds dance with joy.
10. Garnish your dish with some sliced green onions or sesame seeds for an added touch of freshness and visual appeal. This dish is not only incredibly tasty but also a feast for the eyes!
Note: Remember to allow the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken to cool slightly before digging in, as it will be piping hot. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days, allowing you to savor this delightful dish again and again.
Calories: The Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken dish is a satisfying and flavorful meal that packs a punch with approximately 320 calories per serving.
Protein: This dish is a great source of protein, providing around 32 grams per serving. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy immune system.
Fat: With only about 8 grams of fat per serving, this Mongolian Chicken recipe is relatively low in fat content. It offers a delicious and guilt-free option for those watching their fat intake.
Carbohydrates: Packed with energy, this dish contains approximately 30 grams of carbohydrates. Carbs are the body’s primary source of fuel, providing you with the energy you need to power through your day.
Fiber: You’ll also benefit from the dietary fiber found in this recipe, with around 2 grams per serving. Fiber aids in digestion, helps maintain a healthy weight, and keeps you feeling full and satisfied.
Sodium: It’s important to note that this dish contains approximately 580 milligrams of sodium per serving. While sodium is necessary for various bodily functions, individuals watching their sodium intake should be mindful of their overall daily consumption.
Vitamins and Minerals: The Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken dish is rich in essential vitamins and minerals. It provides a good amount of iron, which is vital for oxygen transport in the body, as well as vitamin C, which supports immune function and collagen production. Additionally, it contains important minerals like potassium and calcium.
Enjoy the delightful flavors of this Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken dish while nourishing your body with its impressive nutritional profile. Whether you’re looking for a protein-packed meal or a tasty low-fat option, this recipe has got you covered.
Ideas for serving
– Serve Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken over a bed of fluffy jasmine rice for a complete and satisfying meal. The tender chicken and rich sauce will beautifully complement the fragrant rice, creating a delicious harmony of flavors.
– For a healthier twist, try serving this dish over a bed of steamed quinoa or cauliflower rice. The lighter base allows the flavors of the Mongolian chicken to shine through while providing a nutritious alternative to traditional grains.
– Add a pop of color and freshness to your plate by garnishing the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken with thinly sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Not only will it enhance the presentation, but it will also add a subtle crunch and aromatic touch to each bite.
– To add some vibrant veggies to the mix, consider stir-frying a medley of bell peppers, snap peas, and carrots to serve alongside the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken. The crisp vegetables will provide a delightful contrast to the tender chicken and create a more well-rounded meal.
– If you’re looking to add an extra kick to your dish, sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes on top. The heat of the flakes will intensify the flavors of the Mongolian sauce, giving your taste buds an exciting and fiery experience.
– For a more indulgent twist, serve the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken with a side of buttery garlic naan bread. Tear off a warm piece of naan and scoop up the tender chicken and sauce for an irresistible combination that will leave you craving for more.
– To balance out the richness of the dish, serve it with a refreshing cucumber and mint salad. Simply toss thinly sliced cucumbers with fresh mint leaves, lemon juice, and a drizzle of honey for a light and cooling accompaniment that will cleanse your palate between each flavorful bite.
– If you’re feeling adventurous, transform this dish into delicious sliders by serving the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken between mini toasted buns. Top each slider with a dollop of tangy coleslaw and a pickle slice for a fun and mouthwatering twist on the classic sandwich.
– To complete your Mongolian feast, serve the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken with a side of traditional fried rice. The savory combination of flavors from the chicken and the fried rice will transport your taste buds straight to a bustling Asian street food market.
– For a unique fusion experience, serve the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes. The velvety texture of the potatoes, combined with the bold flavors of the Mongolian sauce, will create a comforting and unforgettable dining experience that will leave you craving more.
Storing the dish
- Before storing Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken, make sure it has completely cooled down. This will ensure that it stays fresh and delicious when you decide to enjoy it later.
- Start by grabbing an airtight container that is large enough to hold the leftovers. This will help to maintain the flavors and prevent any leaks or spills in your fridge.
- If you’re dealing with a large batch of Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken, consider dividing it into individual portion sizes. This will make it easier to grab a quick meal whenever you’re in the mood for some savory goodness.
- Line the bottom of the container with a sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap. This will provide an extra layer of protection against freezer burn and keep the dish from sticking to the container.
- Carefully transfer the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken into the container, making sure not to overcrowd it. Leave some space at the top for any potential expansion during freezing.
- Seal the container tightly, ensuring that no air can get in. This will help maintain the flavors and prevent any unwanted moisture from affecting the dish.
- Label the container with the date of storage. This way, you can keep track of how long it has been stored in your freezer.
- Find a suitable spot in your freezer where the container can lay flat. This will help maximize space and prevent any accidental spills if the container were to tip over.
- Allow the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken to freeze completely, typically for around 2-3 hours. Once frozen, you can reposition the container if needed.
- If you plan on storing the dish for an extended period, consider double-wrapping the container with aluminum foil or placing it inside a freezer bag. This additional layer of protection will help guard against freezer burn and maintain the flavors for even longer.
- When you’re ready to enjoy your Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken, gently thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. This gradual thawing process will help preserve the taste and texture of the dish.
- Once thawed, reheat the Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken in a microwave-safe dish or on the stovetop. Make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to ensure it is safe to eat.
- Serve your delicious Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken with steamed rice, noodles, or your favorite side dishes. Garnish with fresh herbs or sesame seeds for an extra touch of flavor and visual appeal.
Enjoy the convenience of having a homemade meal ready to go whenever you’re in the mood for some delectable Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken!