Sticky Sesame Chicken is a popular dish that belongs to Chinese cuisine. It is known for its unique combination of flavors and textures that make it a favorite among food enthusiasts. The dish is typically made by coating chicken pieces in a sticky sauce made from soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, and other ingredients, and then pan-frying or baking them until they are crispy and caramelized.
One of the peculiarities of Sticky Sesame Chicken is its sweet and savory flavor profile. The combination of soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil creates a rich and delicious sauce that coats the tender chicken pieces. The dish also has a subtle nuttiness from the sesame seeds sprinkled on top, adding a delightful crunch to each bite.
Sticky Sesame Chicken is usually cooked as a main course dish and can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner. It is often served with steamed rice or noodles, allowing the flavors of the sauce to complement the neutral base. The aroma of the dish is enticing, with the sweet and savory scent of the sauce filling the air as it cooks.
In terms of texture, Sticky Sesame Chicken offers a delightful contrast. The chicken pieces are typically crispy on the outside, thanks to the caramelization of the sauce during cooking. However, they remain tender and juicy on the inside, providing a satisfying bite. The sticky sauce adds a glossy sheen to the chicken, making it visually appealing as well.
Aside from its delicious taste and texture, Sticky Sesame Chicken has several features and usefulness. Firstly, it is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit different preferences. Some variations include adding vegetables like broccoli or bell peppers for added freshness and nutrition. Additionally, Sticky Sesame Chicken is a great option for those who enjoy homemade takeout-style meals as it can be easily prepared at home. It also makes for a crowd-pleasing dish at parties or gatherings due to its appealing presentation and crowd-friendly flavors.
- A sharp knife for cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Make sure it’s a good one, as precision is key!
- A cutting board to provide a stable surface for slicing the chicken and other ingredients. Opt for a sturdy one to avoid any accidents.
- A mixing bowl to marinate the chicken. Choose a bowl with enough space to toss the chicken and coat it evenly with the delicious sesame sauce.
- A whisk to combine the ingredients of the marinade. This handy tool will help you create a smooth and flavorful mixture.
- A non-stick frying pan or skillet to cook the chicken. Make sure it’s large enough to accommodate all the pieces without overcrowding, allowing them to brown properly.
- A spatula or tongs to flip and stir the chicken while cooking. These utensils will ensure that each piece is evenly cooked and coated in the sticky sesame sauce.
- A small saucepan to prepare the sticky sesame sauce. This will allow you to heat and thicken the sauce, enhancing its irresistible texture and taste.
- A wooden spoon or silicone spatula to stir the sauce while it simmers. These utensils are perfect for preventing any scratches on your saucepan’s surface.
- A serving platter or plate to present your mouthwatering Sticky Sesame Chicken. Choose one that complements the vibrant colors of the dish, making it even more enticing.
- Garnish tools like a pair of kitchen scissors or herb snippers to add a final touch of freshness with some chopped green onions or cilantro. These will elevate the visual appeal and flavor of your dish.
Remember, having these essential kitchen utensils at hand will make your Sticky Sesame Chicken preparation a breeze. So, gather your tools and get ready to create a delightful culinary masterpiece!
- 500g boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional for heat)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Start by coating the chicken pieces in cornstarch, ensuring they are evenly coated. This will give the chicken a crispy texture when cooked.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the coated chicken pieces and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the minced garlic and grated ginger. Sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes (if desired) to the skillet. Stir well to combine all the flavors.
- Return the cooked chicken to the skillet and toss it in the sauce until each piece is coated. Allow it to simmer for a couple of minutes to let the flavors meld together.
- Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the sticky chicken, giving it a delightful crunch and nutty flavor.
- Garnish with thinly sliced green onions for a pop of freshness and color.
Recipe Sticky Sesame Chicken
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
Sticky Sesame Chicken, a tantalizing dish hailing from the mysterious lands of Asia, will transport your taste buds on an exotic journey. This delectable creation is a perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors that will leave you craving for more.
As you embark on the culinary adventure of preparing Sticky Sesame Chicken, be prepared to spend a mere 15 minutes to gather all the necessary ingredients and get them ready for their transformation into a mouthwatering masterpiece.
Once your mise en place is complete, it’s time to dive into the heart of the cooking process. In just 20 short minutes, you will witness the magic unfold before your eyes as the succulent chicken transforms into golden perfection. The aroma that fills your kitchen will transport you to bustling Asian street markets, where flavors dance in the air and tantalize every passerby.
The amalgamation of flavors achieved in this dish is truly remarkable. Each bite of tender chicken is coated in a luscious glaze that boasts a perfect balance of sweetness and tanginess. The stickiness of the sauce clings to every morsel, ensuring that each bite is a burst of flavor that will leave you yearning for another.
With just 35 minutes from start to finish, Sticky Sesame Chicken allows you to indulge in a culinary adventure without spending hours in the kitchen. So, gather your ingredients, sharpen your knives, and prepare to embark on a journey to the enchanting lands of Asia with this tantalizing dish.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This will help prevent the chicken from sticking to the sheet and make cleaning up a breeze.
Step 2: Take out your trusty mixing bowl and combine the soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch. Whisk them together until they form a smooth and aromatic sauce. Set it aside for now.
Step 3: Grab your chicken breasts and slice them into bite-sized pieces. Remember, the smaller the pieces, the more surface area there is for that sticky sauce to cling to!
Step 4: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm up some vegetable oil. Once it’s nice and hot, add the chicken pieces and let them cook until they’re golden brown on all sides. This will give them a lovely crispy exterior.
Step 5: Now it’s time to introduce your delicious sauce to the party! Pour it over the cooked chicken in the skillet, making sure every piece gets coated in that sticky goodness. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens up and becomes irresistibly sticky.
Step 6: Transfer the sticky sesame chicken from the skillet to the prepared baking sheet. Arrange the pieces in a single layer to ensure even cooking.
Step 7: Pop the baking sheet into your preheated oven and let it bake for about 15-20 minutes. This will give the chicken time to cook through and allow the flavors to meld together beautifully.
Step 8: While the chicken is baking, you can take this opportunity to whip up some fluffy white rice or prepare a bed of fresh greens for serving. The choice is yours!
Step 9: Once the chicken is done baking, remove it from the oven and resist the temptation to devour it right away. Let it cool for a few minutes to avoid burning your eager taste buds.
Step 10: Serve your sticky sesame chicken over a bed of rice or greens, and be sure to drizzle any remaining sauce from the baking sheet over the top. Garnish with some toasted sesame seeds and thinly sliced green onions for an extra touch of flavor and presentation.
Step 11: Dig in and enjoy the fruits of your labor! Savor each bite of tender chicken coated in that sticky, savory sauce. Don’t forget to share with friends and family, or you might find yourself fighting over the last piece!
- The Sticky Sesame Chicken dish contains approximately 450 calories.
- This delicious meal provides a generous amount of protein, offering around 25 grams.
- Loaded with flavor, the Sticky Sesame Chicken dish contains roughly 40 grams of carbohydrates.
- Don’t worry about excessive fat here! This delightful creation only contains about 10 grams of fat.
- Get your fiber fix with this dish, as it offers a moderate amount of fiber, around 3 grams.
- Indulge guilt-free with the Sticky Sesame Chicken as it provides only about 8 grams of sugar.
- Watch out for the sodium content! This dish contains approximately 800 milligrams of sodium.
- Vitamins and Minerals:
- This delectable creation is rich in essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C and iron.
- Please be aware that this dish may contain soy and sesame, which could potentially trigger allergies in some individuals.
Enjoy this mouthwatering Sticky Sesame Chicken dish, knowing that it not only satisfies your taste buds but also provides valuable nutrition to support your well-being.
Ideas for serving
– One delicious way to serve sticky sesame chicken is by pairing it with fluffy white rice. The tender chicken coated in the sticky, sweet, and savory sauce creates a heavenly combination when spooned over a bed of steaming rice. The rice acts as the perfect canvas to absorb all the flavors, adding a delightful texture to each bite.
– For those looking to add some freshness and crunch to their meal, serving sticky sesame chicken with a side of crisp stir-fried vegetables is a fantastic option. The vibrant colors and crispness of the vegetables provide a delightful contrast to the tender chicken, creating a well-balanced dish. Think crunchy bell peppers, sugar snap peas, and vibrant carrots tossed in a light soy-based sauce, perfectly complementing the sticky chicken.
– If you’re feeling adventurous and want to explore different textures and flavors, consider serving sticky sesame chicken on a bed of silky noodles. Boil some Chinese egg noodles until they’re tender and toss them with a drizzle of sesame oil for extra richness. Place the sticky chicken on top of the noodles, allowing the sauce to seep into the strands, creating a cohesive and mouthwatering dish that is sure to satisfy your cravings.
– Another creative way to serve sticky sesame chicken is by transforming it into a filling and flavorful sandwich. Take soft burger buns and spread a generous layer of creamy mayonnaise or tangy Asian-inspired slaw on each side. Then, pile on the sticky sesame chicken, allowing its richness to be balanced by the freshness of lettuce leaves and slices of juicy tomatoes. Each bite will be a burst of flavor and texture that will leave you craving more.
– For those who love an extra kick of heat, incorporating sticky sesame chicken into a spicy lettuce wrap is an excellent choice. Take large lettuce leaves and fill them with the sticky chicken, along with some shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers, and fresh herbs like mint or cilantro. Drizzle some sriracha or chili sauce over the filling for that fiery touch. The crisp lettuce acts as a refreshing and cooling element, while the heat from the chicken and spices tantalizes your taste buds.
– If you’re looking for a lighter option, serving sticky sesame chicken alongside a vibrant Asian-inspired salad is a wonderful choice. Toss together a mix of fresh greens like baby spinach, arugula, and watercress. Add some thinly sliced red onions, colorful bell peppers, and juicy mandarin oranges for sweetness. Top it off with the sticky sesame chicken, allowing its sticky glaze to serve as the dressing. Each bite will be a burst of flavors and textures, creating a satisfying and well-rounded meal.
– Finally, for those who enjoy a bit of fusion cuisine, serving sticky sesame chicken as a topping for a crispy, oven-baked pizza is an absolute treat. Start with a thin pizza crust and spread a layer of tangy hoisin sauce. Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese on top and then add the sticky sesame chicken as the star ingredient. Finish it off with some thinly sliced scallions and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. The result is a unique and delicious pizza that combines the best of both worlds – Chinese flavors and Italian comfort food.
No matter how you choose to serve this mouthwatering dish, sticky sesame chicken is sure to impress with its sweet and savory flavor profile. So get creative in the kitchen and enjoy this irresistible dish in a way that suits your tastes and preferences!
Storing the dish
To store your delectable Sticky Sesame Chicken, follow these easy steps:
1. Allow the chicken to cool: Before you even think about storing your mouthwatering creation, let it cool down to room temperature. This will help preserve its flavor and texture.
2. Prepare the storage container: Find a suitable airtight container or resealable bag that can accommodate your sticky sesame chicken. Make sure it’s clean and dry to avoid any unwanted flavors or moisture.
3. Portion the chicken: If you have a large quantity of sticky sesame chicken, consider dividing it into smaller portions. This will make it easier to reheat later without having to thaw the entire batch.
4. Line the container: To prevent the sauce from sticking to the container, line it with parchment paper or plastic wrap. This step will save you from a sticky mess when it’s time to enjoy your leftovers.
5. Place the chicken in the container: Carefully transfer the chicken into the prepared container, making sure each piece is evenly spaced. Avoid overcrowding to prevent them from sticking together.
6. Pour the sauce: The star of this dish is undoubtedly the sticky sesame sauce. Pour it over the chicken, ensuring each piece is generously coated. The sauce will help keep the chicken moist and flavorful during storage.
7. Seal the container: Close the lid tightly or seal the resealable bag, ensuring no air can enter or escape. This will keep your chicken fresh and prevent any unwanted odors from permeating.
8. Label and date: Grab a marker or a label, and write down the contents and date of storage. This step will help you keep track of how long your sticky sesame chicken has been stored, ensuring you consume it while it’s still at its best.
9. Store in the refrigerator: Place your beautifully prepared sticky sesame chicken in the refrigerator, preferably on a shelf where it won’t get squished or disturbed. The colder temperature will help maintain its freshness and extend its shelf life.
10. Reheating: When you’re ready to enjoy your sticky sesame chicken again, gently reheat it in a skillet or oven until it reaches the desired temperature. Be careful not to overcook it, as you don’t want to lose any of that succulent tenderness.
Remember, proper storage is essential to keep your Sticky Sesame Chicken delightful, so don’t forget these simple steps. Now you can savor this scrumptious dish whenever you crave it, without compromising on taste or quality.